Wednesday, January 21, 2009

An Epic Cookie

This is it! I have found it. One of the greatest, moistest, crispiest, most delectable cookie to come from my kitchen! These things are incredible. I'm not even a big chocolate person, but this cookie will have to be an exception. 


While trying to find a simple and elegant cookie to add to our petit fours at work, I came across this recipe on BakeorBreak.com. It turned out far more delicious than I anticipated. They are incredibly rich so I would caution to make slightly smaller cookies or prep yourself for a stomach ache. (I learned the hard way)

The only alteration I made to the recipe was adding about half the bittersweet chocolate called for and added about 1/8 cup cocoa powder instead. This was done only because I had half a bag of bitter sweet chocolate left. I'm certain they will be just as delicious with the full amount of bittersweet chocolate, but cocoa powder is an option if you find yourself caught. 

This isn't a cake like cookie, the texture of the cookie has a melt in your mouth feel very similar to a meringue. It's almost like chocolate cotton candy, in cookie form! I'm going to stop talking now and let you try it out. 

Ghirardelli's Ultimate Double Chocolate Cookies

11.5 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
6 T unsalted butter

3 Large Eggs
1 cup Granulated Sugar

1/3 cup A.P. Flour
1/2 t Baking Powder

12 ounces Semisweet Chocolate

Melt Bittersweet chocolate and butter together over a double boiler or in the microwave. (Warning! If you're using the microwave, DO NOT heat for more than 20 seconds at a time or you'll destroy the chocolate)
Whip eggs and sugar together in a mixing bowl until thick and a little light. Slowly pour in chocolate mixture while whipping. Sift flour and baking powder together and fold into batter. Stir in Semi Sweet chocolate.

The batter is pretty loose for a cookie, so I recommend using spoons or a scoop to shape these guys.

Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes, turning half way through baking.

No comments: