Monday, April 30, 2007

The First Stand of Custard


Huzzah for being back on track! Some what anyway. I'm back into the full swing of class and work after being sick to the point of almost no return. And I've finally gotten the freaking camera to talk to my computer so I can show you some of the fabulous treats I make every day. The picture to the right is Creme Carmel. It is a very sweet and tasty desert that I would never think of ordering at a restaurant for fear maxing out my credit card, but in culinary school you take home 5 of them! Haha! It's a very simple recipe of Eggs, Sugar, Salt, Vanilla Extract, and Milk. I know it seems like one of the most complicated things in the world, but it's really no problem, as long as you keep an eye on it in the oven. :) I actually enjoyed making this. It's entertaining to watch the eggs transform the whole thing. Which is funny, because I do recall an earlier rant about hating egg whites, but that's only in dealing with puffy macaroons, I think. Heh heh. The brown sauce you see is just caramelized sugar, which is TONS of fun to make. It's just melted sugar, but it smells so good. Although, the taste isn't as fabulous as you might think. It's intense, but it's a really awesome blend of flavor with the custard. I recommend you try it. Or make me make it for you some day. :)

No comments: